Sunday, February 23, 2014

Faux granite countertops $60

So as I have mentioned before we bought a house in September and the whole house needed work but the kitchen is always the main focus where people want a update right? Well I have been looking at stained white laminate counters for months... I should have done something sooner but lord I can't get nothing doing during football season.  (Go Carolina Panthers!! ♡) Well since we were knocked out of the playoffs by those stupid 49ers it was time for me to focus on the house again. First I watched countless youtube videos and read various blogs to see how other people updated their counters the most reasonable thing for me was the faux painted granite counters.  So here is how I did it. First buy the supplies. You will need  Paint trays for primer and polycrylic . Sandpaper the less grit the better in my opinion, primer we always use kiltz, base coat I used a tan wall paint, accent color's in acrylic paint from Michaels or walmart a few different colors and I recommend two of each to be safe, polycrylic sealer for the finished coats,  sponges,  paper plates or old disposal ones, I also used a small door roller for the primer and sealer. Tape off appliances and walls. First clean the counters then sand them to have a smooth surface,  clean again and dry ...now prime and I let mine sit overnight. In the morning I added a light tan thin coat of wall paint I found on the clearance rack at lowes for $13 (most people just use the darkest acrylic paint black or chocolate for the base kind of wish I had done that.) After the base coat cut the sponge in pieces for the different colors, then start with the darkest color I used black and started sponging it on all over almost covering the counters, then I started with the brown I had chose, then I mixed a light grey and white and barely used it all over until it started seeing a pattern I liked. It will look crazy at first deep breaths don't freak...I did. After you have reached your desired look you are happy with I added my first coat of polycrylic and I used six coats I did mine over a two day period... do not sit anything on the counters for a few days and get water or wetness up immediately. Also after the first two coats of polycrylic I lightly sanded the counters to have a even coat all over. The crack to the wall to the back was harder for me to do for some reason. Get as close as you can around sink. I am happy with the results but to me anything would have been better than the stained 1960s counters. I have had them for about two months now almost and they hold up well just make sure as I have said to get water up asap. I couldn't be happier with the results. I hope this is helpful and happy diying. Any questions feel free to ask. Have a great day yall. P.s. I painted my cabinets too blog on that next... 

No comments:

Post a Comment